The NC Department of Commerce Reentry Initiative provides resources and assistance to job seekers with criminal records to help them overcome the barriers toward employment created by a criminal record.
How It Works
Each NCWorks Career Center provides services to individuals with criminal records. Career center staff ensure those job seekers have the necessary resources to conduct an effective job search.
In addition to the services provided to all job seekers, individuals with a criminal record have access to the following:
- Help with writing resumes and a “letter of explanation” detailing their criminal record and/or incarceration and indicating rehabilitative efforts.
- Knowledge about employers' policies concerning hiring individuals with a criminal record.
- Workshops specific to addressing concerns of individuals with criminal records.
- Referrals to community organizations that assist individuals with criminal records.
- Information on Federal Bonding and the Work Opportunity Tax Credit.
Career centers also work with federal, state, and local providers of reentry services, including community- and faith-based organizations, and vocational rehabilitation centers.
In addition to the economic value of obtaining employment, an individual who finds a job is less likely to be re-arrested or return to prison than those who do not obtain employment.
Individuals who need additional assistance may be referred to their Regional Reentry Specialist after being registered in NCWorks.
Each career center has computer terminals for job seekers to access the Internet and use NCWorks Online to find jobs.
In addition to letting users search for jobs, NCWorks Online can show users how their current skill sets match the skills required by employers for a particular position. Career center staff are also available to help job seekers use the website.
How to Get Started
Job seekers with criminal records can contact their local NCWorks Career Center for these employment services.
For help with general questions or concerns, email the Program Coordinator at DWS_Re-Entry@nccommerce.com.