North Carolina requires claimants of unemployment insurance benefits to participate in reemployment programs in order to continue receiving financial assistance. To help claimants find work, the Division of Workforce Solutions offers both the Reemployment and Eligibility Assessment and the Employability Assessment Interview at its NCWorks Career Centers.
Reemployment and Eligibility Assessment
The Reemployment and Eligibility Assessment program delivers regularly scheduled case management services to claimants. In this program, local staff provide the following services to claimants:
- Information on careers and the labor market
- An assessment and an eligibility review
- Help with developing a reemployment plan
- Referrals to at least two reemployment-related services, such as workshops or training opportunities
- An orientation to reemployment services
Enrollment in the program can last up to 10 weeks.
During the initial visit, participants are required to report in-person to their NCWorks Career Center; subsequent appointments may be conducted by telephone or e-mail. If a claimant does not report for a scheduled appointment, then his or her benefits may be affected.
How to Participate
Claimants are selected to participate in the Reemployment and Eligibility Assessment. For more information, contact your NCWorks Career Center, or call 919-814-0541.
Employability Assessment Interview
The Employability Assessment Interview provides concentrated reemployment services to claimants, with the exception of individuals who are exempt—longshoremen, interstate claimants, and individuals who have found employment—or who were already selected for the Reemployment and Eligibility Assessment (see above for details).
Claimants will be selected for the interview after receiving their first payment of benefits. In this program, local staff provide the following services to claimants:
- Assistance with developing an individualized employability plan
- Referrals to job-training services, such as workshops and training opportunities
- Help with registering for NCWorks Online
- A review of the claimant's efforts to find work
- Orientation of reemployment services
If a claimant does not report for his or her scheduled appointment, then his or her benefits may be affected.
How to Participate
Claimants are selected to participate in the Employability Assessment Interview. For more information, contact your NCWorks Career Center, or call 919-814-0541. You can also refer to the FAQ sheet provided by the N.C. Division of Employment Security.