Work Opportunity Tax Credit
The Work Opportunity Tax Credit encourages employers to hire individuals who are qualified for open positions but face barriers to employment.
How It Works
Businesses can receive a one-time tax credit of $2,400-$9,600 for hiring a qualified job applicant; the amount varies, depending on the hire.
To be eligible for the tax credit, employers must hire an individual from one of the following groups:
- Recipients of Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF) or the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Former offenders
- People unemployed for at least 27 weeks
- Vocational rehabilitation recipient
- Recipients of long-term family assistance
- Veterans unemployed at least four weeks
- Veterans with a service-connected disability
In North Carolina, the N.C. Division of Workforce Solutions accepts applications for the tax credit, which is authorized by the U.S. Congress.
How to Apply
Employers may file an application online.
For more information about the program, contact Virginia Terrell at 919-814-0439, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.