Resources for Businesses
Capital Access Network
N.C. Job Connector
Business Link North Carolina
Office of the Commissioner for Small Business
Small Business Technology and Development Center (SBTDC)
Employment Eligibility Verification
The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires employers to verify employment eligibility of anyone hired after November 6, 1986 by completing and retaining a one-page Employment Eligibility Form (Form I-9). This form must be presented for inspection to officers of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service or the U.S. Department of Labor upon request. The law does not require that Form I-9 be completed for:
- Persons hired before November 7, 1986;
- Persons hired after November 6, 1986, who left your employment before June 1, 1987;
- Persons you employ for domestic work in a private home on an intermittent or sporadic basis;
- Persons who provide labor to you who are employed by a contractor providing contract services (e.g. employee leasing); or
- Persons who are independent contractors.
For more information, visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website or call the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283.
The Workers' Compensation Act requires that any employer who employs three or more employees provide workers’ compensation coverage. The act provides employees with compensation for the loss of earning capacity from accidents/deaths or injuries and occupational diseases arising in the course of employment.
Any sole proprietor or partner of a business whose employees are eligible for benefits may also be covered as an employee under the workers' compensation coverage of the business if the proprietor or partner is actively engaged in the operation of the business; and the insurer is notified that he/she has elected to be included.
For more information, contact:
North Carolina Industrial Commission
430 N. Salisbury Street
Raleigh, NC 27611
4340 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-4340
(919) 807-2501 or (800) 688-8349