Economic Infrastructure Program
*Guidelines and Application are subject to change at the discretion of the Rural Infrastructure Authority
The Economic Infrastructure Program under the Rural Grants/Programs Section of the North Carolina Department of Commerce will provide grants to local governments to assist with infrastructure projects that will lead to the creation of new, full-time jobs.
Eligible projects include but are not limited to:
- Upgrades or repair of public drinking water or wastewater treatment plants
- Upgrades, extensions, or repair of public water or sewer lines
- Extensions of publicly owned natural gas line (with an executed Pipeline Construction, Operating and Resale Agreement
- Installation or extension of public broadband infrastructure
- Construction of publicly owned access roads not funded or owned by the NC Department of Transportation
- Construction of public rail spur improvements.
Eligible applicants are units of local government with priority given to the counties that have the 80 highest rankings under N.C.G.S.143B-437.08. The rankings can be found on the NC Department of Commerce website at http://www.nccommerce.com/research-publications/incentive-reports/county-tier-designations
Funding levels are determined based on the criteria below as long as a sufficient number of jobs are committed to support the requested amount. Please refer to the Priority Industry Table and County Weekly Wage Standards
to determine the funding availability for your project.
Click here for applications, forms and deadlines.
Director, Rural Grant Programs
Rural Economic Development Division
NC Department of Commerce
4346 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-4346
301 North Wilmington Street
Raleigh, NC 27601