NC Main Street Communities & Designations
Receiving Main Street America status is a prestigious designation. While every local "affiliate" Main Street program can work toward accreditation, not every Main Street program receives it. Each year NC Main Street program participants submit documentation of their work to the NC Main Street Center staff. After careful review the NC Main Street & Rural Planning Center Director submits a list of eligible programs to the National Main Street Center. The National Main Street Center reviews each state's recommendation and then releases the names of programs that have met the requirements for a "accredited" status.
The Main Street America accreditation process evaluates local Main Street programs according to 10 performance standards and provides national recognition to those that meet these standards. Main Street coordinating programs evaluate their local programs each year and submit their eligible programs to the National Main Street Center. We annually release our list of accredited programs. To learn more about the national accreditation process, click here
2017 NC Main Street Accredited Programs
Main Street America™ Affiliates are programs that have demonstrated a commitment to achieving meaningful economic, social, physical, and organizational improvements in downtowns or neighborhood commercial districts. These are organizations that have committed to comprehensive revitalization and undertake ongoing efforts to achieve meaningful community outcomes.
2017 NC Main Street Affiliate Programs
NC Main Street Program - Designation Years
- 2016***: Troy
- 2015*: Ayden, Benson, Bessemer City, Cherryville, Elizabethtown, Tryon, Valdese, Waxhaw, Williamston
- 2009: Davidson**, Garner, Kings Mountain, Roanoke Rapids
- 2006: Clayton, Fuquay-Varina, Hickory, Wake Forest
- 2003: Eden, Edenton, Forest City, Marion
- 2000: Belmont, Hertford, North Wilkesboro, Morehead City
- 1998: Elkin, Oxford, Monroe, Sparta,
- 1995: Farmville**, Lincolnton, Roxboro, Sylva
- 1993: Albemarle, Boone, Brevard, Lexington
- 1991: Mocksville, Southport**, Spruce Pine
- 1990: Aberdeen**, Concord, Franklin**, Newton, Rutherfordton
- 1988: Burlington, Elizabeth City, Lumberton, Mooresville, Mount Airy
- 1986: Henderson**, Hendersonville, Lenoir, Smithfield, Waynesville
- 1984: Goldsboro, Kinston, Reidsville, Sanford, Wadesboro**
- 1982: Clinton, Morganton, Statesville, Rocky Mount, Wilson
- 1980: New Bern, Salisbury, Shelby, Tarboro, Washington
*These communities moved from our Small Town Main Street program to Main Street in July 2015.
***This community moved from our Small Town Main Street program to Main Street in July 2016.